So I talked with my case worker today, actually hopeful that things were picking up (of course, not that it would mean that we'd get a baby any time soon, but at this point I'm just hoping and praying that the couples ahead of us on the list start getting matched). She did not have good news for me. What else is new?
They're not working with any new birthmothers and things are still slow. The good news is they just started doing some PR (really? just started?) but according to my case worker, it will take about six months to see the effects of it. Wonderful. In six months a pregnant woman might see an ad and might call our agency and pick one of the six couples waiting in front of us. That means it will only be about three years before we get a baby.
I also asked about foster-to-adopt and, well, it doesn't really exist. The infant list we are waiting on is the same as foster-to-adopt. In the rare case that there would be such a baby, someone on our list would get picked for it. But that doesn't usually happen.
I even asked about fostering older children (over seven) and was told the wait would probably be just as long as we're already experiencing due to bureaucracy. And the eight-week long class we'd have to take, which doesn't start until January, is on week nights, which Ryan couldn't do.
And no one I've talked to about this, including our case worker, thinks we should seriously consider adopting a teenager.
I even called an adoption attorney today and learned that for more than $300, plus an hourly rate for anything after that, she can set us up with adoption situations around the country, except she said it could take a while if funds were an issue. Awesome. If we could afford an expensive agency, we'd just go straight to them, not pay an attorney hundreds of dollars to call them for us.
This sucks. I am defeated. I am praying for a job. For money to fall out of the sky. For a baby to fall out of the sky. I have been praying for so long for all of this I am starting to think that prayers for me are just wasted time. It is crazy the number of people who pray for us, on a daily basis, and still nothing. Our life just gets harder and harder. All these poor people are wasting their precious time in prayer for us.
God's will is clearly for us to struggle right now, on many, many levels. He is not being subtle, that's for sure. So I guess that is the answer to all those prayers. This is exactly where He wants us and I have to accept it.
I would have loved to discuss this with my priest today in my first spiritual direction appointment (or at least my appointment where he could decide what he wanted to do with me), but I had to cancel due to being sick. I've been waiting three weeks for the appointment and now I'll have to wait another three to see him. And I really needed the meeting today after the week I've had.
If anyone is still reading this you must be so tired of this by now. I apologize. I know this is all probably getting very, very old. I couldn't agree more.
I just need a life line. I really, really, really need some good news right now.
Friday, November 13, 2009
More bad adoption news
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
K--I've been meaning to comment on your posts all this past week, but I'm afraid I've had no words for you that could possibly do any good. My heart just aches for you though and you are in my prayers. I could have written every single word of your recent posts about 6 years ago.
ReplyDeleteYou know...just when the clouds seem the darkest at at the last minute of the 11th hour...it seems only *then* does the Son shine through, IYKWIM. I've seen it time and time again. Both personally and otherwise. I know it sounds trite, but keep the faith. I'm keeping the faith for you. Something big is on the horizon. God's not done with you yet.
Wish I could give you a hug.
Gosh, I'm so sorry things keep getting harder for you. This sucks.
ReplyDeleteIf you are interested in fostering and/or adopting older children, I urge you to check out www.adoptuskids.org. We're working with our state's DCFS and our sw recommended this. Keeping you in prayer. I understand the grief and depression of not having either ttc or adoption work out... I'm in the midst of it myself.
ReplyDeleteI wish you would be visiting down here, you could hang out with my friend and I.
ReplyDeleteI hope that the reason things seem so dark right now is because you are digging your way out of the tunnel! You have come so far and yet it seems like you are just beginning. That is where I am.
I will keep you in prayer and trust that God is in control of this situation as dark and dreary as it may be! xoxo
K, my heart really really hurts for you. You've actually been on my mind a lot. I am not sick of reading your blog...don't apologize!
ReplyDeleteHave you considered international adoption? I have never read how you guys decided to adopt so I don't know that whole story. Int'l adoption is expensive but there are SO many grants and what not. Also the tax credit. Trust me, it is do doable, though it seems insurmountable at the start. If you have a heart for adoption keep working towards it! We adoptive parents have to fight to get our children, they need us to advocate for them before we even have them. Don't give up!
I meant to say "as dark and dreary as it seems!"
ReplyDeleteHope you get to feeling better physically as well!
Why pay someone to match you- there are lots of domestic adoption situations listed online. Some with lower fees because of medical reasons, or drug and alcohol exposure- but it's not always the case.
ReplyDeletehere are some links- hope this helps.
http://www.abcadoptions.com/networking/home.php
http://ouradopt.com/adoption-blog/feb-2009/juliafuller/where-can-i-find-child-or-baby-already-available-adoption
good luck
K, any chance you could make a little trip up to central NJ on Sat Nov 21st? We are having the spiritual director come to our support group meeting, and I for 1 am GREATLY in need of it... you may be able to get a lot out of it. It sucks we are so far from each other :(
ReplyDeleteAlso, did you happen to look into Be.thany at all? If you already have the HS approval from elsewhere, I don't think it would cost you anything to switch... except maybe the $450 formal application fee(?) Then placement fees are due upon SUCCESSFUL placement... based on a sliding scale, our placement fee will be $14,000 only. That is by far the least expensive I've heard from any other agency.
They have great connections at hospitals, crisis pg centers, etc. due to their reputation of how they care for the bmoms. Cold calls happen more frequently b/c of that, too.
I feel like I work for them, lol! I just think you and R would be the 1st picked in your state if you had a profile with them.
Let me guess...the agency has plenty of PR out to bring in adoptive parents (where they get their $) - but nothing yet to bring in birth mothers (WHY they get their $). I'm so sorry. I understand what you mean about so many prayers going unanswered. I rarely think about how many people are praying for us, but I wish they could stop hoping. We don't have any babies for them.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry K. I wish I could give you a big big hug. Since you were sick, can't Fr. K reschedule you for sooner? It seems crazy to have to wait another three weeks. Maybe this means you meant to call over at the abbey too?
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry. Getting bad news is even worse when you don't feel well physically. I hope you can get some good news soon. I'm praying for you.
ReplyDeleteOkay- I just do NOT believe that it is God's will for you to suffer. I believe that right now, it is God's will for you to trust Him, to rest in HIM, and allow Him to work. Keep praying and TRUSTING that God can do the impossible.
ReplyDeleteI fought your feelings for years (and I have three kids) and it took me a really long time to get to the place of surrender, total surrender where I said God, I want what you want for me and nothing more.
That did not bring me a baby. It did bring me an unexplainable peace.
Since then doors have begun opening. I'm not going to go into any details but things I'd never imagined have been put into place. I don't know if they'll fall through or work out but either way I know there is ALWAYS possibilities with God.
I am so sorry for your pain and I know its HARD. BIG HUGS!
I pray that the Lord answer your prayers seven fold! Hang in there, and bind this despair in the mighty name of Jesus. God doesn't need everything to go smoothly or look good in the physical to operate in the spiritual.
(Said in kind sweet love, to a dear friend that I love very much!)
Oh K, my heart just breaks for you. I pray that God will throw something good in your way!
ReplyDeleteI am sorry you are going through this. I wanted to comment on the teenager myth - I am currently going through IVF after years of miscarriages and fertility treatments. About 3 months ago we had a permanent placement of my 15 year old niece...it has been the biggest blessing to us both. She was removed from an abusive environment and it has helped fill a very empty spot in our hearts. We still yearn for our own child, but giving this teenager the life she deserves, that everyone deserves, has been my greatest purpose to date. Everyone deserves to have someone be crazy about them...no matter what age they are. Good luck to you and I hope your path becomes clear soon! I will keep you in our prayers!
ReplyDeleteThis might be offensive to you, but it is NOT intended that way. Something about the wording of your post brought this thought to me: Maybe God's will isn't for you to struggle so much (because that seems awful to me), but rather the problem is that you are struggling against God's will. Like working against it or towards a different direction. I'm not saying I have any idea what God's will IS for you, and obviously you would be the only one equipped to discover that. But the object of prayer is to align the child's will with God's. Let me post a big long passage in another comment for you to read. I really hope I haven't overstepped my bounds by this, but it's just a thought and it seems you are open to anything that could potentially help. Maybe this will help click something in your brain/heart. I dunno. I just really hope you can find peace. And of course that this all works out for you soon :)
ReplyDelete"""""As soon as we learn the true relationship in which we stand toward God (namely, God is our Father, and we are his children), then at once prayer becomes natural and instinctive on our part (Matt. 7: 7-11). Many of the so-called difficulties about prayer arise from forgetting this relationship. Prayer is the act by which the will of the Father and the will of the child are brought into correspondence with each other. The object of prayer is not to change the will of God, but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant, but that are made conditional on our asking for them. Blessings require some work or effort on our part before we can obtain them. Prayer is a form of work, and is an appointed means for obtaining the highest of all blessings. """""
ReplyDeleteUgh. I can feel the despair in this post so much. It seems as though you are really, really feeling down.
ReplyDeleteAs you know, I pray for you a LOT. And I am not tired of it -- I will continue to do so. Because I KNOW that God will help you through to the other side of this.
I can honestly say that I have never, ever reached such depths as I have with IF/ being childless, and that there were days where I am pretty sure it was NOT possible to feel more despair, more complete and utter sadness, sorrow,etc. than in those times.
I am pretty sure it wasn't my own prayers that ever lifted me out of those times, but the prayers of others or just the sheer mercy of God. Having peace and joy in all circumstances is truly a gift from God.
One of my favorite scriptures is:
"My grace is sufficient for you. For my power is made perfect in weakness."
Not just in the weakness of your spirit right now (not that you have a weak spirit but you know what I mean) but even in the "weakness" of this situation. I put that in quotes bc, as the scripture says, His power is made PERFECT in weakness. So is weakness really weakness? What about when St. Paul says, "For when I am weak, then I am strong?"
I don't know WHEN you will be delivered from all of this, but I know He IS working on your behalf. He has NOT forgotten you, K.
My immediate prayer for you will be complete physical healing and peace right now. Please hang in there and know that you are surrounded by so many people who care and are praying every day.
*HUGS* again. And yes, I am also of those people who pray ALOT, for you, and for waitingforlife.....
ReplyDeleteI hope our hidden God shows His face to you soon!!!
ReplyDeleteI.so.sorry.
Have you checked out Liberty Godparent Home? www.godparent.org
ReplyDeleteTheir system works a little differently. The birth mother choses the family based on profile not who is in line next :-)
Hi I found your blog and thought I'd drop the name of an agency down in Florida that two of my friends have used. They are lawyers who devote their lives to adoption. They don't charge out the nose at all. My friends said they would use them again in a heart beat and they live in Ohio. The trip for them was well worth it. I know it may be out of town for you as well but it might also be worth it:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.americankidzadoption.com/services.html