Sunday, August 3, 2014

Full arms

Yesterday was supposed to be my due date.

If things had gone according to my plan, I'd have a baby in my arms right now (probably would have had a scheduled section sometime last week) as I sit in a chair in our living room watching a football game on TV. I'd be nursing, or holding a sleeping baby, or nursing a sleeping baby if she (or he) was anything like Luke.

But things didn't go according to my plan. 

So I sit not with a baby but a laptop on my lap, as my husband excitedly watches the game, while my stubborn three-year-old sleeps with his head on the kitchen table where we left him during a dinner-(take-a-bite-of-chicken-or-else)-standoff, and my two girls dance around the living room in giggles.

And I feel very content.

After my miscarriage, my womb felt empty. I had gained some weight, yet there was no baby inside. My stomach should have been growing, yet it was painfully flat (at least in the not-pregnant sense). I watched those who were as far along as I should have been with wonder and it stung. In me, there was nothing where there should have been something.

And I feared the empty arms that I had heard mentioned as well. I wondered if they would become obvious as my due date neared.

But they never did.


My arms are blessedly full. And for that I am so thankful.


I know not everyone has other babies to help ease their pain, and my heart breaks for them. And I also know no one replaces a little one lost. They are unique and the pain of their absence can last a lifetime.


I still mourn Catherine Gerard and often cry at the mere mention of her. But I am embracing the good - literally. And it is most definitely good that I have three sweet kids to keep my arms and lap and home and heart full. 

12 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful reelection, I really love the picture of you reading to your sweet blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you are feeling content. I was dreading my first "lost due date" and it was...well, fine. My second is coming up and I don't fear it. Life goes on, whether I want it to or now, and at this point, I can't even imagine what it would be like to have a baby or to be 34 weeks pregnant right now. I miss the children we lost and I pray we'll have more, but at this point, I can't see life being any different than it is now. More than anything, I mourn for Lucia and hope she has a (living) sibling someday.

    Anyway, this isn't about me. I'm so glad that you have your three beautiful children here on earth to fill your arms. They truly are lovely (even when covered in paint!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so happy to see a new post from you... and then sad to read that the first line.

    I am happy you've found contentment. By God's grace, all of us should strive for a place of being filled with contentment for the blessings we call our life. But it's tough so often to be content with what we have when we yearn for something more or something different.

    Peace be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful words, and beautiful family. One of my best friends delivered her baby on my "lost" due date, and while it was hard to celebrate on that day, it was such a gift as well - to know that life goes on, even in the face of loss and grief.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awh, love these beautiful photos of you and your three little blessings! The pic of Essie at the tippy top on your banner reminds me of how fast it all goes…she looks like such a little peanut! I'm so glad you are doing okay…but I wish I gave you a hug this morning! Will be keeping you and Catherine in my prayers tonight. xo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So hope-filled! This is beautiful, Karey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such a wonderful mother, Karey. To all four of your children.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Prayers for you, K!

    ReplyDelete
  9. God bless you, K! And God bless your angel baby in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always praying for you and your beautiful family, including your little saint in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praying for you! And I'm loving (as always) the pictures you've shared. <3

    ReplyDelete