I wasn't sure how to begin this post so I figured that's as good a start as any.
I have been meaning to come here and work through this for weeks, yet I just can't find the time. But lately I've been wondering if I have actually been avoiding it. So many emotions are wrapped up in nursing.
And things seem to be changing so quickly. Three weeks ago, I wrote posts in my ahead about how Essie's tongue tie was fixed and how I was hoping it was the answer to all our problems and how my supply would really kick in now and how I wanted to see a lactation consultant... but I never got a chance to type it up. Two weeks ago, I had every intention of sharing how I rented a hospital-grade pump, how excited the woman at the lactation place was for me, how excited people always are. And how just days later, I was getting nearly no milk, how frustrating it was, how I was still looking forward to my appointment with the lactation consultant, how the appointment came and went and I was told to pump eight to 10 times a day. How I actually only found time to pump one to four times a day, when I was lucky. And what a huge pain it was to pump with three kids, made even worse by pumping imaginary milk.
I wanted to come here and lament how I was getting nearly no milk at all. What it felt like to see a drop each time, so little that it wouldn't even trickle down into the collection bottle. How I'd get basically nothing from pumping, but how excited I was when I'd get a milliliter - a MILLILITER - from hand expressing immediately afterward.
But before I could write any of that, I was stopping. I was done with the pump. With my one milliliter and the bottle's stupid, teeny, tiny, little lines that mocked me.
But before I could write any of that, I was stopping. I was done with the pump. With my one milliliter and the bottle's stupid, teeny, tiny, little lines that mocked me.
Unfortunately, all of this lead to me nursing Essie less and less. There was just something about knowing that I had no milk that made it all seem so silly and so easy to cut corners. I'd need to run errands and Ryan would just give her a bottle. What did it matter? I had no milk anyway.
But then I noticed she seemed unsettled at times, and it hit me - My lack of milk wasn't news to her. She has known all along that she wasn't getting much, yet she still loved it. And here I was cutting her off, simply because I felt stupid about it. How selfish of me. Maybe she needed it. The cuddling. Me.
So that sounds like I'm leading up to revealing that I'm back to nursing, and things are going great, even if there is barely any milk, right? Not exactly. The truth is, it's hard to nurse when you know you don't have anything to give. She's getting older and bigger and isn't okay with getting nothing while she's starving.
I have to admit, a small part of me is relieved (which is SO weird because a much bigger part of me is sad and disappointed and grieving the loss of nursing forever, since I probably won't ever be pregnant again and if I can't handle this, then I definitely can't start from scratch to nurse another child we may adopt). It's just that bottle-feeding is so much easier than nursing when nursing is a struggle. Nursing Luke was cake, I loved it. He never took a bottle until his sippy cup. But man, this is hard. Not initially, but ever since finding out the truth about my supply.
Another part of me is humiliated. One of those versions of posts I wrote in my head was entitled, "I'm a nursing fraud" (yes, I think up titles to my imaginary posts). Everyone thought it was so neat (or weird, but they didn't admit that to me) that I was nursing. Our pediatrician in Arizona was jumping out of her skin she was so thrilled about it. The leader of a support group was teary-eyed as she talked about me to the group. The woman at the lactation center was going to ask my consultant for updates on how it was going because she just thought it was the coolest thing. I have to admit I liked hearing that, just as many stay-at-home moms who get zero feedback on their work performance would probably like to. I was nursing my baby who I did not give birth to. That was my story. Only probably was it turned out I wasn't really nursing her. So ya, I felt like a fraud. I eventually convinced myself that I wasn't one since I wasn't actually aware that I didn't have any milk. Fraud? On second thought, no. But humiliated? Sure.
It was just so easy the first time around. I was one of those mothers who had no problems, except for Luke's dairy allergy, but that was it. No issues with supply. I empathized with moms who couldn't keep breastfeeding, but I really couldn't relate. Now I can. No amount of mother's milk tea or lactation cookies are going to mimic what a pregnancy did for my breast milk.
I decided early on that I didn't want to take drugs. They're just not for me. This is just going to happen and I'm going to have to deal with it. I may already have nothing left, but Luke still swears there's something there. He's probably just being kind.
I haven't even touched on the guilt. Oh, the guilt. It's there when glancing at the warning on the formula package and when winding up on an anti-formula rant on a friend-of-a-friend's facebook page. Did I try hard enough? Am I giving up too soon? Should I have just tried the meds out of love for Essie? Should I have kept pumping? Should I have prayed harder?
Clara was formula-fed and I was fine with it. Maybe with her it didn't feel like a failure because I didn't try. And I hadn't yet experienced nursing at that point. I should just be thankful I was able to do it at all, instead of mourning that it was only for one baby.
Or two, if I count Essie. And I probably should. I'm just in that phase where I'm still being hard on myself, kind of like after my c-section with Luke (I'm resisting the urge to put the word nurse in quotations, just as I wanted to do with the word birth after he was born). But, as I did after Luke, I need to pick myself up and move on with what I've been given. Which is a beautiful baby who I love with all my heart, who sometimes loves to nurse no matter how many millimeters she's getting, and at other times is hungry and wants her bottle. A baby who is growing like crazy and is healthy and happy.
A little blue-eyed gift from God that I am humbled and overjoyed to be given the responsibility of raising. I will always do what's best for her, but sometimes you hit a wall with what you had hoped was possible and we might be there when it comes to nursing. So you back away from that wall and take a different path. I've calmed her by nursing several times in the last couple of days and there is a lot to be said for that.
It's so easy to judge our worth as a mother by those little lines on the bottle when pumping. It's easy to think about what she's not getting from me, how more breast milk could possibly make her healthier or smarter or more whatever. But I'm learning it's not just about how much I produce. That's only part of the story.
It's also about what nursing is doing for her. What it's done for me. It's about the soothing, the snuggling, the warmth, the bonding. I will never forget bringing this tiny baby back to our hotel after she was discharged from the hospital, putting her to my breast, and her latching and staying there for an hour. She has always loved nursing, no matter what she was getting. And when I stop to think about it, I realize what an enormous blessing that is.
It's so easy to judge our worth as a mother by those little lines on the bottle when pumping. It's easy to think about what she's not getting from me, how more breast milk could possibly make her healthier or smarter or more whatever. But I'm learning it's not just about how much I produce. That's only part of the story.
It's also about what nursing is doing for her. What it's done for me. It's about the soothing, the snuggling, the warmth, the bonding. I will never forget bringing this tiny baby back to our hotel after she was discharged from the hospital, putting her to my breast, and her latching and staying there for an hour. She has always loved nursing, no matter what she was getting. And when I stop to think about it, I realize what an enormous blessing that is.
I'm so grateful for these months and for however much I am able to breastfeed her in the future. The amount of milk may be small, but the benefits have been enormous. And for that I am forever grateful.



What an absolutely beautiful, heart-felt post!
ReplyDeleteWe had troubles too and I did what I could, but a baby who is getting food and a non frustrated mommy is better than a hungry baby with an unhappy mom.
ReplyDeleteIt's hard, but you tried VERY hard and isn't that all we ask of our kids?
And wow, look at that beautiful baby. She is truly gorgeous!
Hi there! My heart goes out to you. I'm an adoptive mom to two boys and then we had a biological daughter. After an incredible 17-month nursing relationship with my baby girl, I found myself really regretting that I didn't give nursing a shot with my boys. Reading about your struggles helps me to realize that it probably wouldn't have been very realistic to nurse them without being pregnant.
ReplyDeleteHave you thought about something like this: http://www.lact-aid.com/
It appears that you could feed with formula, but do it at the breast with that great skin to skin contact. Might be worth looking into??
Essie is absolutely stunning by the way!
ReplyDeleteYou have done a wonderful thing for dear Essie, and just look at her plump face and happy smile! Thank you for sharing your heart.
ReplyDeleteI have three kids and had trouble breastfeeding from the beginning with the first one. In a nutshell, in his second month of life he didn´t gain an ounce and I was breastfeeding all day long (which you would think would increase my supply but it didn´t). After many tests done to him the pediatrician (who is fan numero uno of breastfeeding exclusively for however long you want) gave me the formula, he said "there´s nothing wrong with your baby, he´s hungry, keep breastfeeding and fill him up with a bottle". After one week of doing this he gained 1 pound. Please don´t get down on yourself, you are an awesome mom!! I recently wrote a post on breastfeeding, you´re welcome to read it, hope it helps :)http://sayiniloveu.blogspot.com/2013/03/breastfeeding-jealousy.html
ReplyDeleteYou are not a fraud. BFing is equally about bonding as it is about nutrition!! And how awesome that Essie loves to bond like this!
ReplyDeleteThat said, I totally relate. My supply has been fragile since very early on with N. The weeks where I seemed/seem to be making enough, I totally "get" why nursing is such a joy for other mothers. But when you have one foot in the breastfeeding realm and one foot in the formula realm, it's totally different. It's stressful. It's stressful trying to predict how many ounces to make prior to a feeding just in case you run out. I've thrown away so much pricey formula making too much in anticipation of a crying baby and yet so often I don't make enough and regret while I am frantically trying to make a bottle amidst the screaming. It's stressful having to pay for formula. It's stressful when your baby "almost" nurses himself to sleep only for you to run out just seconds before he dozes off, and his eyes pop open. It's stressful researching the right formulas. It's stressful when he's constipated and you're trying to narrow down which food source is the issue.
Wow, I just wrote a blog post in your combox. Bottom line: Breast feeding is so easy when you have supply. But when it's only half there, bottle feeding is by far easier, at least for me. And for that reason, I've been doing exactly what you've been doing... saying, "Oh, what the hec, just give him a bottle. He already has a gazillion of those a day even when I am knocking myself out trying to breastfeed!" And feeling guilty. And then not feeling guilty.
Exactly :)
Deletewhat a beautiful post! I'm praying you come to believe what you already know in your head-that you are NOT a fraud and that did and are doing an amazing thing!
ReplyDeleteSO crazy you posted about this because, just the other day, I found myself thinking about how you are nursing Essie, and how incredibly wise and generous you are for doing so, and how beautiful I find it to be, that someone who- like me - once thought she might never nurse, is now nursing not just one but two precious babes!!
ReplyDeleteI actually found myself smiling at the thought.
God knew exactly how much milk you would produce for her, and HE chose you, through her birthmother, to mother her. I truly believe you both are right where you ought to be.
BTW I am not nursing two babies. The "like me" part was referring to the IF part ... I am sure you know what I mean, but just thought I'd clarify for anyone wondering lol!!
ReplyDeleteI just am amazed at how God is able to do immeasurably more than we ask or imagine.
Also, I wanted to say, that I feel I can kind of relate to your feelings of guilt, but on a different front. Maybe we can talk sometime soon.
Sending a hug. I never tried to nurse my two daughters (mine thanks to adoption) but I've watched other adoptive moms try. LifeHopes nailed it... in her post. HE chose you.... and you are more than enough. Don't feel like a fraud. Don't second guess yourself. Don't worry about. Remember what's important... and don't let Satan weigh you down with doubts.
ReplyDeleteYou're doing a great job! Every situation with a new baby is different. This post is so honest-- I think a lot of people can relate, even if it is a totally different situation! Essie is just gorgeous in these pics! I know she is totally worth all the struggles and doubts! Her little smiling face looking up at you makes it so! Sending prayers!
ReplyDeleteI've nursed Isaac for over 22 months now, and I've always used a nursing supplementer (I use the Lact-Aid) with a homemade formula (WAPF recipe). I used medication until 18 months, so I made a decent amount of milk, but obviously not even close to enough to exclusively feed him breastmilk. Nursing when you haven't been pregnant is hard initially, but I found the emotional and physical bond quickly became way more important to me than how much milk Isaac was getting. Yes, even a few drops of breastmilk can offer tremendous benefit to a baby, but I found that just having the ability to put my child to the breast was so completely healing for me as an infertile, and obviously what my baby needed - he's always needed lots of Mama time, and still does - he nurses way more than any of my friends' toddlers of the same age. Some babies need a lot more "sucking" time, and he would never take a pacifier (probably because of the weak tongue muscles he had when he was itty bitty), so being able to give him that was awesome (and actually, the nursing helps strengthen tongue muscles, so hopefully that will avoid any speech problems he might have had otherwise). And as he's gotten older, when he's having a rough day due to lack of sleep or teething, or simply has the toddler grumps, I can sit and nurse him and we can reconnect, calm down (both of us) and things look much rosier :).
ReplyDeleteTry not to feel guilty about not having enough milk! Essie doesn't care about the amount - she just wants YOU. You're doing a fantastic job!
Hi, K! I'm a long-time reader, but I've never commented. But, man does this post hit close to home. I've been blessed with three babies and for one reason or another my two oldest were unable to nurse. Finally, my sweet baby girl has allowed me the chance to breast feed! But, our journey has not been without bumps (pot hole-sized) in the road. We are forced to use a nipple shield, I still have to pump multiple times a day (and wake up in the night to pump). It's not a Hallmark card, for sure. Except when it is. And those are the moments I cling to. If I nurse her one more time or a thousand more, at least I nursed her. This has been my Everest. And by, God the mountain will not win. Yours won't win, either. And may I just say, it's possible that Essie is getting more milk than the pump ever could. My LC said that some women's milk just will not let down for a pump. It may be that she's getting more than you think. Regardless, hold that head high. And I will, too. We did good, Mama. We did good.
ReplyDeletemost beautiful little girl (and photos) ever. this is a beautiful post and boy do i know it is hard to come to terms with reality. God bless you for trying and persevering with whatever you can offer for both your needs.
ReplyDeleteGod bless you with this struggle! I nursed my first-not totally exclusively, he got a bottle now and then- for a year and then due to an unexpected medical problem,had to wean him at one year old. I didn't think I would have to and tried to pump. It was disastrous and the emotions hit me probably as they hit you. I felt like a failure at the pump, both kinds, and didn't even know where my milk went. He was fine (no trauma yet and he's almost six!) since he had just started cow's milk anyway at that point, but I still feel guilty about it. Then I nursed my daughter for 14 months and tried a few times to pump (to have an extra supply, to have a fewfor bottles just in case) and nada. AGain, like I wasn't producing any milk, when i KNEW I had been. One of my doctors (or friends? Ican't remember) told me some women don't do well with the pump AT ALL. So bless you for trying. I myself was breast fed 'only' six weeks by my mom before she had to get her gallbladder out (this was in the 70s and it was an intensive operation then) and then they switched to formula; I am still awfully close to my mom and love her just as much as a breastfeeding mama, so remember, all Essie (and Clara and Luke) want is YOU: time, attention, cuddling, etc. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI was going to suggest supplemental nursing since you hadn't mentioned trying it, but callmemamma beat me to it! Nursing never has to be an all or nothing proposition. Give her as many bottles as she needs and nurse her as often and as long as she will stay on the breast. She'll tell you when she's ready to ween. Nursing is so much more than food and if she needs that mommy time, she'll take it and get her "food" from the bottle. Even if you can just do it 3 times a day to stay close and have just baby and mommy time, you'll feel better. I went back to work when my oldest was 12 weeks old and could only nurse him in the morning, at bed time, and once in the middle of the night. He was on formula the rest of the time. I don't really know if there was a lot of milk or not, but I know it was a routine that seemed to make both of us happy. It is really hard to get to that point, but you will find your way. And it won't be right, or wrong, but yours. In the end that is all that matters! May God continue to bless you and your precious family abundantly during this Lenten season and bring the joy of Easter to your heart! :)
ReplyDeleteOh K, so perfectly said. Being a mother (as well as dealing with IF) has molded us and formed us into the people the Lord wants us to be. Loving another is a choice that we do in spite of ourselves. Love is hard to do at times when it isn't exactly what we want to do or how we want to do it. But that is God's Will. Doing what He calls us to do. You are a wonderful mother, doing the best for your children. God bless you!
ReplyDeleteFirst, you are an amazing mom...breastfeeding or not, or partially. This post actually got me thinking about guilt. All the things that we as moms feel guilty about. I'm stuggling at the moment with school choices for my older one and just feeling so guilty about all the options.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, thanks for letting me muse about guily bc of your post. And it reminded me that the main thing is we get these kiddos to heaven. :)
As you remember, I had supply issues, big time. I did go the drug route - I knew it was my only shot, so I really wanted to try everything. But, honestly, you hit the nail on the head when you said, it is SO much easier to give a bottle when you feel like such a failure not producing milk every time you nurse! And that's ok!!! Seems to me you have a perfect set up for you and Essie right now:). We moms need to STOP judging ourselves, beating ourselves up, and laying the guilt on thick. I don't know how, but we have to try. We are killing ourselves with all this guilt-ridden anxiety! Essie is GORGEOUS and happy and that is because she is SO well taken care of. Keep up the awesome work, momma!
ReplyDeleteHey K, I can totally imagine feeling the same way and just wanted to offer a few notes of encouragement.
ReplyDelete1) You are doing a great job.
2) Essie is gorgeous.
3) Lactation consultants have always told me that a baby can ALWAYS get a lot more than a pump. So Essie can use her baby magic to get more than that pump.
4) Even so, maybe all she is getting is a little drop, but that little drop could be like the little dropper of vitamins that I give E every day (well, that I give him occasionally whenever I remember). It is giving her some great stuff that she needs ... even if it's not giving her a lot of calories. And she is getting all of those ancillary cuddly benefits that I will never really understand.
5) You are caring for her nutritional and emotional needs in various ways and, I repeat, you are doing a great job!
Ali
Essie is just so angelic. She's lucky to have you for a mom.
ReplyDeleteI can totally relate to the guilt and negative feelings. I never had a great supply and I tried everything. When I saw you write about the little ML lines mocking you...I was nodding. I know how it feels. To see a little bit of milk and not have it go into the bottle. I was so depressed about it and was just beating myself up. I stopped pumping on the last day of February because I couldn't deal with only seeing 1 drop anymore. My mom told me not to beat myself up, but how could I. I wasn't able to nourish my baby on my own (and he'd been supplemented with formula from week 1 due to a tongue-tie).
I guess waht I'm trying to say is that I know how you feel and I know how it hurts. You have a beautiful family and you are an inspiration with how you do it all. I love reading your blog.
I know you said you didn't want medications but have you considered herbal supplements? My daughter is 4 months old and my supply was dwindling, I tried fenugreek with no improvement, but brewers yeast has helped. I went from not being able to get anything when pumping to being able to get easily get 3-4 ounces after her morning feed.
ReplyDeleteShe looks great to me!!!
ReplyDeleteI typed whole post, but, my phone ate it. so I will try the short version. :)
ReplyDeleteYou and Essie are a nursing success.
Luke is not lying, you most likely make more than an mL, you are just unfortunate enough to not be a good pumper/hand expresser.
Regardless, Essie obviously cares more about her MAMA holding her close and giving her what you can than how many oz you produce in a day. :)
Essie is gorgeous! If you took those photos (which I think you did), they are PHENOMENAL!!!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on another addition!!! I'm so happy for your guys;))) I never catch up in blog world anymore and miss things like this. Felicidades!!!!
ReplyDeleteI soooooo feel your every feeling. I tried like mad to nurse Mary Jacinta and it was agony and hurt so deeply that she kept refusing me so I gave her the pumped milk and added formula when it wasn't enough for her daily intake. I felt SUCH EXTREME guilt that I was nursing Benjamin while Blake gave her a bottle but.... I tried all I could do and her reflux didn't help her inability or desire to nurse. I still feel guilt and sadness over it sometimes. But we sure are blessed with beautiful babies fed by formula and-or breastmilk.
Congrats again to you all. I'm so happy for you!