Thursday, August 25, 2011

A plateau

Failure to thrive.

Not exactly the label a mother wants placed on her little baby. And yet, that's what happened this morning at Luke's 9-month check-up. It was written on his chart, as his diagnosis on our payment form, and on his lab slip.

Does this look like a baby who is failing to thrive?

I was actually looking forward to this appointment, excited that he was doing so much better than the first few check-ups that he had, back when he never slept and seemed to have an allergy to dairy. He's been doing amazingly well, the picture of health. He's crawling, pulling up, saying "dada," even waving and saying "hi" when the mood hits him.

I knew he hadn't been gaining weight. At three appointments back in the Spring he had plateaued, and on our home scale he hadn't gained anything since then. But just recently I had decided that it just had to be broken. I weighed him in my arms on our adult scale, and then weighed myself alone, and his weight seemed higher. I relaxed.

Then this morning I placed him on the baby scale at the pediatrician's office and there it was - 16 lbs., 8 ounces. He'd gained nothing since May. I was still calm, not too concerned as we walked back to the exam room. Then, when a few minutes later the nurse called to me again - wanting to weigh Luke a second time because something wasn't right, maybe the scale was off-balance - I got nervous. Great, I thought, knowing full well it wasn't the scale.

The doctor, who was within earshot for the two weigh-ins, eventually examined him and was delighted by his progress. Advanced developmentally, she said. He was perfect, doing everything that she looks for, like trying to get her attention, making noises, bouncing on his strong legs.



Then she asked if I had any concerns, like she always does. Well, there's the weight thing...

She had forgotten about that, hadn't checked his charts yet. Then she saw it - 16,8 three out of the last four times, with one 16,11 thrown in there. The dots on the graph rose steadily the first six months and then flatlined for the most recent three. She was concerned. I was becoming increasingly nervous.

He would need blood drawn, she said. A couple nurses examined his tiny arms only to determine they didn't feel comfortable doing it and we would have to go to a lab.

The doctor mentioned some possible things it could be. Immature kidneys, for one, which she says would not be a big problem. He would grow out of it and we would just have to watch it for a couple years, and I think she mentioned a medication but I can't remember exactly. She also mentioned food allergies, and Celiac Disease. They would test for it all.

She said it's not my supply because he's not fussy. He tells me when he wants to nurse, and I feel as if I'm nursing him a lot. He seems satisfied when he's done. I told her about how I avoided one side for a while one day because he had bit me there and how it became engorged. She agreed that that was evidence my supply is just fine.

I also asked about feeding him more solids, maybe something high-calorie, and she said that nursing is most important right now. He will gain more from that than from anything else.

It could be - and here's what we're hoping, of course - that it's just his gaining pattern. He gains a lot, then plateaus, then gains, then plateaus. We're also hoping it could be because at the very same time he stopped gaining, he started sleeping through the night, moving all around, and eating solids. He was literally attached to me before he moved to his crib, nursing constantly. Maybe his previous weight gain was inflated.

She also said - and this, hopefully, is important - that because the first part of his exam she looked at him without yet knowing about the weight issue and thought he was the picture of health, that she doesn't think it's anything very serious. He isn't showing any symptoms of a bigger problem. He's not sick, he's not fussy, he's sleeping great, he's developmentally ahead, he's moving all around, he's happy, he's talkative... So hopefully all those things add up to this just being a fluke. That he's just not a big gainer.

I left nervous and on edge. I called Ryan and told him that he and Clara would be accompanying us to the lab for Luke's blood draw. I needed the support of another adult.

My niece had some similar issues when she was around the same age as Luke, so I called my sister. She said her daughter would plateau for a few months, then gain right before her next check-up, so the doctor never had cause for concern. Okay, I thought, my niece is fine so hopefully a growth spurt is right around the corner for Luke.

I then called my mom on the way and told her everything. She, a nurse, couldn't think of anything else more serious that it could be and really thinks that he is fine. She said she had come across a prayer card for St. Rita right when I called, so she was going to ask for her intercession.

Sweet Clara was trying to hold Luke's hand

On a side note, when we arrived at the lab (which specialized in pediatrics), Luke started hiccuping in the waiting room. I kid you not, three separate people we encountered took one look at him and said, "He's got the hiccups, you know what that means? He's growing!" Apparently I'm the only one who has never heard that Old Wives Tale. When the reception said it first, I replied, "Good, because that's why we're here!" Then when we returned to our seat, a woman sitting near us said the same thing. Finally, the woman drawing his blood said it as well. Maybe just a coincidence, but I'd like to think it was a sign. Not that his hiccups were actually making him grow, of course, but that he's going to grow. Maybe that was already St. Rita's intercession letting us know he's going to be okay.

It's a good thing I had that little ray of hope, because the blood draw experience was worse than I could have imagined.

Without recounting every gory details, I'll just say that they tried his right arm, then his left arm, then his right arm again, before pricking his finger and squeezing out tiny amounts over about ten minutes. The second arm was the worst - the nurse, who was visibly stressed and sweating, fished around in there for a vein for what seemed like forever while he screamed in my arms. And this was the lab that specialized in babies.

They drew enough blood for some of the tests, but not all. They're going to ask our pediatrician's office which tests are a priority. I'm hoping we don't have to go back.

Notice his little band-aid from his blood draw

So my poor little baby had a rough day, but did surprisingly well. He still charmed everyone he came in contact with, and really only cried that one time. He's a trooper.

We won't find out the results until probably next Wednesday, and I'm hoping I can maintain my anxiety level until then.

If you get a chance, please say a prayer for Lukie, that he's okay, that this is all making a big deal out of nothing, that he gains weight. That he starts to thrive. I know your prayers are so powerful and I can't thank you enough.

And I'd love to hear if any of you have slow-gaining babies. But, please don't share with me anything that will raise my anxiety. I've had about all I can handle for one day.

36 comments:

  1. Hi, hon! Oh yes, I had a "failure to thrive" baby boy. When my fifth child was about a year old, he "flatlined" on his weight charts (that's what I called it... not a technical term!). He was at 19 pounds for months and months, and he was slowly slipping below the zero percentile for his age!! I was so frustrated (he had started out liking solids, then just stopped eating almost everythig). He seemed like he had pica. But no. We did a barium swallow thing. No problems with his tract. The doc talked about feeding tubes, and I decided on some occupational therapy, thank you. So we did that for a while, and then I just thought, "this is a waste of our time" and stopped going.

    He was healthy and active and happy all along. It took him a few years to learn to eat more food and regular food, but he finally did, and I didn't sweat it. It was a stressful few years, but now I barely remember it. He is eleven now, and perfectly fine.

    I know it's not a perfect parallel to what is happening with Luke, but the fact that your little guy is developmentally on target and happy as can be leads me to think it's just normal for him.

    But you can be assured of my prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wat, is that a little pot belly pudge going on there in that one picture?? He looks awesome!!! Not scrawny, not unhealthy.

    My daughter has grown so slowly, always in the fifth percentile or lower. I nursed like crazy. I was so worried for awhile, so I can imagine your stress!!

    Seriously, why does baby gain have to follow a prescribed chart?? I wonder what dr sears would say....he's always seemed the most laid back about weigh gain in his books....

    I am praying for you! I have a feeling he's just fine, but I guess it's not bad to check all the possible causes....and perhaps the cause is "that's just the way he is!"

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just seemed to contradict myself. I didn't sweat it, in that I didn't worry about it after a certain amount of months. What was stressful was meal times, because he wouldn't eat much at all, and the weird stuff he did eat would make him terribly constipated!! So, there was stress about the meals, but not stress about whether or not he was unhealthy. I knew he was not "sick". Hope that makes more sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my AP moms group, there are a TON of slow growing babies. I can think of at least 5 that were tagged a failure to thrive and pretty much it just turned out to be their growth pattern. Can I just say though how much I LOVE your ped? We have NO peds here that are that supportive of breastfeeding. I know you're going to worry until you know what's up or he picks up the pace growing but I pray that God gives you some peace in all this too. Praying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi K! Sorry Lukey had such a rough day:-( Did your md use a growth chart of just breastfed babies or one that is both breastfed/bottle? If it was a combo, lots of BF babies fall off the chart because between 6-9 months they slow down with the weight gain. Also, he's moving A LOT, which burns A LOT of calories. Here's a link to a growth chart that is just for BF boys...http://kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/chart2.html
    Makes a big difference, doesn't it? Also, I am surprised that weight alone gets you a FTT diagnosis, particularly since it is doing so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My cousin's daughter was diagnosed with failure to thrive. I think she was only 2 or 3 months old when she was diagnosed. She was a long skinny baby. She was in the 90th percentile for height but was really low for weight. By the time she was a year old she was only 17lbs. Her parents had to meet with a dietician for a few months and she had to drink Boost for a while to help her gain weight. She's now a perfectly healthy almost 10 year old with plenty of meat on her bones. I bet Luke will be just fine. Some kids just don't gain oodles of weight rapidly. I'll be praying for him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My youngest nephew wasn't even on the growth chart for the longest time. At 12 months he weighed 17 lbs! He's fine, just a little guy. No other health problems or symptoms, just like Luke. He's slowly starting to gain, but the doc says he's healthy. I bet Luke will start growing soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The friend I talk about sometimes with the 16 m/c had a low weight baby that the Drs stressed over but she is super healthy and advanced like Luke with talking and moving. She is just the daughter of small parents, I think Luke looks very healthy and he is doing so well with talking and pulling up etc!! maybe he just got small genes....y'all aren't huge people ya know :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've had a similar experience with Dominic, but I haven't seen the FTT diagnosis anywhere yet. It could very well be on his chart and I just haven't seen it!

    He was in the 5th percentile for a long time and then at 6 months fell to the 1st percentile and has stayed there ever since. My ped would like to see him back up to the 5th, but he hasn't yet. Dominic's biggest issues are self feeding, eating solid foods, and the physical stuff of course. He has delays all around. But I've resisted any medical testing so far because, I don't know why, I just feel like he's small and I don't think it's enough cause for concern.

    I'll keep Luke in my prayers, and you and R too. It is so stressful trying to make the right decisions and yet not feeling pulled around by the peds unnecessarily. Again, I think you are a wise woman and the Lord will lead you in this too.

    Do you have a Mothers Manual? It's an awesome, pocket sized blue book with prayers moms can say for their babies. If you can't find one, let me know and I'll send you one. Perfect for these situations :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh goodness! Some kids are just like that- they grow a different rates. my daughter was tiny and she still is to this day.
    IS he eating- pooping and peeing? If so he is normal- even if doctors tack on the label "failure to thrive". He looks happy and healthy- so I wouldn't concern yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, praying! Totally understand your anxiety level. The "not making weight thing" is awful. I feel like I'm the mother of a wrestler sometimes. Jesus, I trust in you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Luke looks great. I totally UNDERSTAND your anxiety and please be assured that I will be praying for you. My doctor's head circumference was at the 1 % level or something crazy like that and all I could think of was she had brain damage or would be delayed or was at risk for autism...it drove me nearly over the edge and I would measure her head through out the day. But, of course, she was fine and her head grew and she is brilliant and sweet as can be. Like Luke!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry, I meant to say my daughter's head circumference! OOPS FREUDIAN SLIP.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Praying for little Lukie. He looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. K is younger than Luke but we've been dealing with weight gain issues since she was 2 months. She is also advanced developmentally despite her gaining issues. This is probably one of the most stressful things to deal with as a parent. I hope that it ends up not being anything to worry about. My 1-year-old cousin went to a GI doctor recently for weight gain issues, but they didn't find anything.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wanted to share this link with you.

    http://www.mostgladly.net/cj/2007/09/its-my-party-an.html

    I hope it helps.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is the part I wanted to bring to your attention. About growth charts.

    "Growth charts, just in case you were unclear, do not proceed from the mouth of God. They reflect the way a group of children did grow, not the way yours should grow. Growth charts from formula-fed populations do not reflect the species norm for growth patterns in infancy, but lots of doctors don't know this. If your doctor's office is still using the CDC charts instead of the free downloadable WHO charts normed on breastfed infants, I suggest you bring your own."

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh K, he is fine! Don't worry. Like you said, he is eating tons, smiling, playing, crawling...those are the things that matter. xo Luke!

    ReplyDelete
  21. All three of my kids have gained well until 5-6 months and then plateaued. After 6 months all three of them have hovered between 3rd-5th percentile for weight. They eat like horses, almost never get sick and run around all day long, year round. They are healthy, slim children.

    With my first, my doctor actually started telling me to force feed her solids. I tried that for about 4.5minutes and then put the solid food away until until she started feeding herself a few months later.

    My children typically don't get above 20lbs until around 18 months. I don't remember exactly with the first two, but I do with the third since he was low birth weight and I paid more attention. His weight went like this:
    birth: 5lbs
    3months: 10lbs
    6months: 15lbs
    12months: 18lbs
    23months(he'll be two next month): 22lbs.

    The older two didn't double their birth weight until about 9months.

    I have always tried to look at the baby and not the chart and tried to ascertain whether the doctor was doing that as well. I ask myself, are they active? Are they engaging? Are they doing developmentally appropriate things? Do they get sick frequently? Do their scraps and scratches heal? Are they eating/nursing regularly? Are they interested in things?

    They answers have always been yes, so I don't look at the charts anymore.

    I think that other people have mentioned different charts. Make sure that you are using the WHO breastfeeding chart, not the older formula-feed chart. It can make a big difference. Also, it might be tricky, but try to look at his weight at 24-72 HOURS old, not immediately after birth. A lot of times if Mom has had IV fluids and is retaining fluid, baby will as well, and a more accurate weight will be after the first day when they have shed that excess fluid. It will make his gains since birth look better on the chart.

    Another little tidbit, but about an older child. My second, who will be 7 in a few months has not gained one ounce in the last year. But he has grown 5 inches taller. And he taught himself to read over Christmas. He's fine. His pants fall off because he is so slim, but he's fine.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh K!
    I just know in my heart of hearts that Lukie is thriving like crazy! I HATE that label they gave to him, it sounds just awful. I am so sorry you are having to deal with it.

    He IS thriving, and those tests will confirm it very soon! I am amazed at how quickly they give a diagnosis like this. Seems like they'd do the tests FIRST, then label a child after the tests reveal an actual problem.

    Praying for you in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
  23. He looks like the picture of health! AND he's developmentally ahead. Sometimes I wonder if we (and medical professionals) over analyze things. I know I've been guilty of this. Luke does not look like he's not thriving.

    Anyway....know of my prayers for Luke and for you that you may be at peace. Blessings....

    ReplyDelete
  24. My baby was ALMOST failure to thrive. But she had an allergy. They did every stomach testing possible and then it stopped. Just, stopped. And now she's jumped from less than 3rd percentile to 15th. I think you're right about him getting active right at the plateau.

    Whatever you do, stay away from Google! That is your worst enemy right now while you wait!!!! :)

    Prayers and hugs, he's happy, right? So he's not in pain while you wait for answers, and therefore neither should you be ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you all SO much! Your comments, prayers, personal stories, and info has helped us so much tonight.

    To answer some of your questions.. he is pooping a peeing. That all seems to be normal. And my concern is not that his weight is a low percentile, but that he has *stopped* gaining. Especially because he eats a lot and gained really quickly at first. It just makes me worried that maybe something is wrong.

    Clara was a very slow gaining baby but we had a reason for that.. she was a preemie. It's not having a reason that makes me nervous. But I know some babies are just like that and nothing is wrong with them.. so I'm really hoping he's one of those babies!

    Tina - Yes! Along with all the other developmental things, he also doesn't get sick a lot and heals quickly, etc., etc., so I am focusing on that.

    LH - I should have added that the dr. made sure to say she didn't want me to freak out over the use of FTT, but that she had to put it for diagnostic reasons. But, as you can imagine, I still freaked out!

    SC - I don't have that book, and would love it, but you cannot send me something when I owe you a package! It's been sitting all packed in L's room forever! I promise I'll do it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yes, sounds like Luke is completely fine. Ella was not gaining in the beginning but was fine otherwise. She continued to be a slow gainer even after switching to formula, oh well! You are doing a great job. One of my friends had said to me when Ella wasn't gaining well, "Thats why a lot of people don't take their kids to the doctor!" LOL. I'm not suggesting that, but take it all in stride.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You can visit my blog and read our saga. Christopher is over two years old and might be 21 pounds. Believe me - I have been anxiety ridden for 2 years... Since he was born at 32 weeks and 3 pounds!

    Auburnmommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Praying for you guys! to make you feel better, hope this helps! My sister's kids are 5 and 3 and both were slow growers. They ran all the tests, and nothing came up. they just had to run the tests to make sure, because they have good doctors who want to rule everything out. Both kids are super healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  29. M and JP didn't gain much weight from 6 months to 12 months. (When they really started moving around.) M was only 17 lbs at a year, JP, 19. Luke is moving around so well for a baby his age. I'm sure it's probably just that he's using all the energy he's taking in! My nephew was diagnosed to failure to thrive, they had to start putting butter in his food and giving him a bottle of breastmilk fortified with formula, and he fattened right up.

    ReplyDelete
  30. i just skimmed and it looks like you have gotten lots of good responses. I agree, he looks awesome! I am dealing with a FTT foster baby right now (same age as Luke). A fellow foster mom mentioned this product, Duocal (www.myduocal.com)to me. It is a way to add extra calories to his food. If interested, ask your ped about adding it as a supplement (and I think they may have to order it?).

    ReplyDelete
  31. Luke looks healthy to me in his pictures. I hope your anxiety eases. I think you'll find out that your son is healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Praying for you, and trust your gut-Luke looks and sounds like a very healthy little boy. I have a friend who's son had a similar problem-he acted healthy and normal, but didn't have the best appetite-and it turns out he just had a urinary tract infection. They are every uncommon in children under 6, but it's an easy fix (just some antibiotics and usually a look at the kidneys). Just another thing they can check.

    I agree with everyone else, too-some babies just don't read the medical textbooks and they grow at their own rate and time. I think Luke is going to be just fine-he looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  33. My daughter didn't gain weight between one set of her well baby checkups (either between 6 to 9 months or 9 to 12 months), but she had grown longer. My pediatrician said that as long as she was growing, even if not in weight gain, she was okay.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Neither one of my boys gained any weight between 6 and 9 months. Then went on to gain at least 4 lbs between 9 and 12 months. They both weighed right at 16-17lbs from 6 -9 months then made it up to 20-21 lbs by 12 months. They were both breastfed and started on solids by 7 months. Our ped was fine with it and just wanted to keep an eye on the but said not to worry it was normal.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I've been lurking on your blog for a while and just thought I would comment b/c I had a very similar experience with my Daughter who is now 15 months. She was 16 lbs at 7 months and barely 17lbs at her 12 month and it was the lack of weight gain that my doctor kept stressing to me too. She acted happy, ate lots (and stopped on her own when she was done) and had plenty of chub in her cheeks. I should have known all was well. But I suppose doctors can't just look past the charts. I was in tears through many a lab test, nutritional analysis, weight check etc. but eventually the doctors came around to thinking it was just how she was. She did start to gain finally, and is now about 19 lbs.

    It was a really stressful episode for me, but one that, thankfully, has passed with a 'just one of those things' diagnosis. Praying it goes the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi! I just came across your blog from a friends and saw this post. I just wanted to give you a little reassurance. My son plateaued at 13.5 lbs. and they had me stop nursing at 9 months and put him on formula. Well, that didn't really do anything. He gained to 17 lbs at 1 year and 22 lbs at 2 years. (that is where we are now) We just did a blood draw to make sure everything is ok (not sure why they didn't do this sooner?!) We have seen a peds GI specialist numerous times... We are thinking he is just going to be a slender boy. He just made it on the growth chart in the 2nd percentile (i think) and after a year and a half of worrying like crazy..we are just loving on our sweet boy and thinking he is going to be on the smaller side, like me. The diagnosis "failure to thrive" sure punches you in the gut, i know. But, you are doing everything you can for your precious little guy. Please know that I am praying for your family. And don't stop nursing!! :) That is my biggest regret. Anyway, hope you have a great day. And just know that your little guy looks great and really looks like he is thriving!! :)

    ReplyDelete