Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A very quick update (at least for me)

Today begins my internet fast. Oh, no - I'm not giving it up entirely (which should be obvious by this post, unless you assumed I wrote all my posts ahead of time and have them timed to post each day of Lent. That would have been a task!). I don't think I could handle that, not to mention it's such an important communication tool that I'd burn right through the few phone minutes I have if I ever gave up email.

No. But what I am doing is limiting my internet time to 30 minutes twice a day...which means since I already checked email and commented on some of your blogs, I have exactly six minutes left to write this post. It also means that you shouldn't expect a lot of creativity for the next several weeks! Actually, my posts may improve - they'll be more to the point and less of a stream-of-consciousness rant.

My hope is that by limiting my online time, I won't needlessly check facebook, email and blogs all day long. It feels so pointless when I do that and I just know that I could be spending time in prayer instead. Now I'll have to.

Speaking of prayer, I'm going to start praying the rosary every day and the rosary of the Seven Sorrows on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Ahh! The clock is ticking! Four minutes now...I'm going to have to have better time management when posting.

Okay, okay. I need to focus.

In cycle news is I had my peak +11 blood draw already today. Yay! It was a completely stress-free experience, praise God!! And the best part is I actually had a chance to witness, thanks to my ashes. The woman drawing my blood asked me if I knew I had something on my forehead, which allowed me to explain that they were ashes, why we get them, etc. Although she knew practically nothing about the Catholic Church (she asked if we worshipped God), she said she had always been intrigued by it. By the end of the conversation she was asking me if my parish had Sunday school, because she had two girls and they'd need to go. Can you believe that? She had me give her my parish name and website address and she thinks she might check it out. I was thrilled! But the most interesting part was that although she had no background knowledge about it, she knew she was being pulled towards it for some reason. She may never end up visiting a Catholic church, but she just might!

So that was my excitement for the day. That stuff never happens to me!

Well my time is up, so I'm signing off. I'll post again tonight if I get any of my blood draw results. Oh, and since it's peak +11 today, that means my cycle might be ending tomorrow (but no brown bleeding yet!), or at least it's on track to since my luteal phases are almost always eleven days. I hope I don't take it too hard.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations with the internet fast! Wow, what a sacrifice. I wouldn't be able to do it :)

    What an awesome way to start out Lent, with your testimony of belief to the woman at the lab! Too cool, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got ashes this morning as well and I noticed people looking at my forehead this morning when I was in the grocery store. At first, I was thinking "Why are these people looking at my forehead?" And then I remembered why and I felt proud!
    I'm giving up tv after 7pm(that's when all the shows I love to watch are on...especially Monday nights). I'd give it up all together but I like the news and weather. I am striving to watch less and less "smut" as my husband likes to call it. I have lots of prayer and studying to do. Good luck on your smaller increments of internet time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we just got back from the gym to get our ashes and have our ash wednesday liturgy. we practiced the songs this morning and we've been practicing the responses. so many of my students seem to never have gotten ashes before! i had to explain to them to not touch their foreheads. we'll see how that goes!

    maybe i'll have to add an internet fast as well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could get to church before I have to be to work in order to get my ashes so I could wear them proudly all day. The timing just doesn't work, so I had to go after work, and then just come home. At least my hubby will see them.

    ReplyDelete